Havana (AP) – The Colombian government’s chied negotiator in the peace talks with the Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia (FARC) rebel group has asked for the quick release of a soldier and two policemen kidnapped last month.
The lead negotiatior for the FARC in Havana, Cuba, Iván Márquez, confirmed that his group is ready for a release. Both the FARC and Colombian government ended the latest round of peace negotiations that began in Cuba last year.
Speaking Sunday at a news conference in Havana, the FARC said that everything is ready to release two policemen and a soldier kidnapped in late January and said that peace talks with the Colombian government are moving forward.
Both sides stressed the importance of the issue of the victims of the crimes of the FARC, one of the points on the agenda of the talks.
“We do not see an agreement ending the conflict, without which the guerrillas putting face to the victims. We need to put into place formulas and mechanisms to make that happen,” said chief government negotiator, Humberto de la Calle, in a statement.
To be releases are Victor Alfonso Gonzalez and Cristian Camilo Yate, kidnapped on January 25 in an area of the Valle del Cauca department while conducting intelligence work and Josué Alvarez Meneses, 19, held for a fight in the department of Nariño.
For the FARC, “there must be a permanent exchange law as long as the armed confrontation continues” argues the FARC and that the “government systematically refuses a bilateral ceasefire”. The FARC members recalled that they respected a ceasefire between November 20 and January 20.