Colombia’s defense ministry on Thursday said that in 2013 the number of desertions from rebel groups like the FARC and ELN increased 18.4%.
In total, a ministry press release said, 1,350 rebel fighters surrendered to authorities, 1,111 of the FARC, 237 of the ELN and 2 of dissident factions of either guerrilla organization.
In 2012 the government had reported the demobilization of 1,140 individuals.
Among the former guerrillas who demobilized last year there were 345 women.
The press release mentioned no surrender of members of neo-paramilitary groups.
Over the past ten years, the Colombian government claimed to have received almost 25,000 demobilizing rebels.
- El año pasado hubo 18,4 % más desmovilizaciones que en 2012 (Defense Ministry)
The post Colombia defense ministry claims 18% increase in rebel desertions in 2013 appeared first on Colombia News | Colombia Reports.
For website development, online marketing and promotion,
check out The Q Media
If you enjoyed this piece, please SHARE IT so other readers can find it and enjoy it.