President Juan Manuel Santos congratulated Colombia’s world-beating cyclists in a speech on Thursday, calling them, “our best ambassadors” in a statement released on Thursday.
President Santos congratulated the cyclists who are currently dominating the ongoing Giro d’Italia, one of the Grand Tours of European cycling.
1. Nairo Quintana (Colombia/Movistar) 77:58:08″
2. Rigoberto Uran (Colombia/Omega Pharma-Quick-Step) +1:41″
3. Pierre Rolland (France/Europcar) +3:29″
4. Fabio Aru (Italy/Astana) +3:31″
5. Rafal Majka (Poland/Tinkoff-Saxo)
6. Domenico Pozzovivo (Italy/AG2R) +3:52″
7. Ryder Hesjedal (Canada/Garmin) +4:32″
8. Wilco Kelderman (Netherlands/Belkin) +4:37″
9. Cadel Evans (Australia/BMC Racing) +4:59″
10. Robert Kiserlovski (Croatia/Trek) +8:33″
“We send these wonderful cyclists greetings on behalf of all Colombians. They are lifting up the name of Colombia , being our best ambassadors,” said Santos.
On Thursday’s 18th stage of the Giro d’Italia, Colombia enjoyed a spectacular 1-2 as Julian Arredondo won the stage with compatriot Fabio Duarte in second place, 17 seconds further behind.
Fellow Colombians Nairo Quintana and Rigoberto Uran remained first and second respectively in the overall classification.
“The first thing I want to celebrate is the resounding victory of Colombia in the European mountains in the European Alps. The fact that in today’s stage the number one and number two were fellow countrymen and in the Giro d’Italia they [Colombians] are number one and number two, is a very significant fact to celebrate,” said Santos.
Santos congratulated the cyclists on his Twitter calling it a, “historic triumph of Colombian sport.”
Histórico triunfo del deporte colombiano: Felicitaciones Julian Arredondo y Fabio Duarte, 1 y 2 en etapa 18 del Giro de Italia! Que orgullo!
— Juan Manuel Santos (@JuanManSantos) May 29, 2014
The race is set to conclude after the 21st stage in Trieste, Italy on June 1.
- Presidente Santos celebra contundente triunfo de los ciclistas colombianos en el Giro de Italia (Presidential website)
The post Colombia’s Giro d’Italia cyclists ‘our best ambassadors’: Santos appeared first on Colombia News | Colombia Reports.