2012 bogota bomb attack ringleader killed: Defense Minister

Posted on Dec 16 2013 - 7:58am by Editor
juancarlospinzon_f_ministerio_defensa

The mastermind behind a 2012 Bogota bomb attack targeting an ex-minister has been killed in a Colombian army operation in the south of the country said the Ministry of Defense late on Sunday.

The Defense Minister, Juan Carlos Pinzon has confirmed Diego Fernando Tabares, alias “Lucho”, was killed when a group of 18 guerrillas of the FARC’s 6th Front were attempting to enter the town of Santander de Quilichao in southern Colombia.

They were intercepted by police personnel and in the confrontation, two guerrilla, including Lucho, were killed and three others were seriously injured, reported Caracol Radio.

Lucho was the supposed ringleader of the criminal group that set off a bomb targeting the former minister of the interior, Fernando Londoño Hoyos, in May 2012, that left two dead and 48 seriously injured.

MORE: Interpol warrants arrest of alleged perpetrators of Bogota bomb attack on ex-minister

​​Lucho had been sentenced to 34 years in prison for various crimes but was a fugitive from justice after violating house arrest that was granted in 2009 for alleged health problems.

One of his most recent actions was the abduction of two policemen in the department of Valle del Cauca on 25 January this year.

The FARC started a 30-day ceasefire on Sunday, but the government says it will continue its offensive operations against the FARC until a peace treaty is signed.

MORE: FARC announces 30-day ceasefire, Santos says offensive continues

Sources

The post 2012 bogota bomb attack ringleader killed: Defense Minister appeared first on Colombia News | Colombia Reports.